Monday, February 20, 2012

8 Miles from Sun to Dusk

Sunday sun and brisk air; what a perfect day for 8 miles!

The day started as lazy one. I didn't really feel like running, and wasn't sure if Casey's ankle was going to cooperate for a run. However, it worked out that we went, and I'm so glad we did. 

After some "it's ok if we slow down" pace coaxing from Greg and Casey, I decided if it really was alright by them, then yes I really didn't want to run at a pace where I struggled to breathe for over an hour. Greg only did 1.5 miles with us. He wasn't up for the distance that day. Casey and I continued along, up and down some rolling hills. My legs cramped early, but worked it out by around 3. 

We crossed a busy road into another neighborhood that ended up having quite a few rollers! I hadn't even thought about hills. I knew we weren't going to take the very hilly route, but didn't anticipate having to deal with hills. Most of the way out was a net downhill. My watch later showed our quickest paces in 3 and 4 miles, and during them I chatted easily about work as we wound through the neighborhood. It was awesome being able to chat and enjoy the run. Coming back was more difficult :) Casey reminded me of some spinning terms/mental games and helped me to push myself through. I would have stopped if I had been alone. Before we crossed back over the busy road, I took a breather and coughed a bit. My throat only tightened up towards the end of the hilly stint, so that was good.

On the way back, I was spared with some more slight downhills, but even the slight uphills got me. Our last miles were over 11s, but the net pace ended up being 10:45.


Our splits (determined by my pace of course) were as follows:
1 - 10:20
2 - 10:44
3 - 10:18
4 - 10:00 (downhill)
5 - 11:17
6 - 11:03
7 - 11:11
8 - 11:12

The last two and half miles I froze my ass off. I have never been cold while running before. I clearly just didn't have enough layers on my arms for the amount that the wind picked up. The thought of a hot shower certainly was motivating!

I'm really happy with how I did. And I'm so thankful to not have been out there struggling by myself. I feel like I'm improving. Today I'm sore in muscles, but not in joints or IT band. The broomball game on Saturday was an added setback to my muscles, but I think the run helped overall. Tonight I will stretch and lift. Tomorrow is spinning!


No comments:

Post a Comment