Sunday, June 27, 2010

Beyond...

Many of my goals were met in the initial 8weeks before Greece. It was great to go on vacation feeling accomplished and in better shape than I had been. And now I still have a lot more goals to reach. I really look forward to tracking again, sharing the motivation and seeing our progress! I think I'm going to track food, even though I know that's a big pain in the butt. I'll at least give it a shot. Without further ado, here is my first workout /post for this week...

I hate to start my first post on a not-so-great note, but my run today was pretty horrible. I wanted to do 6 miles, or at least run an hour, even if I didn't quite get up to 6 miles. I decided I would run down to Landen Park on the new sidewalk. I stepped out of the house at 9 a.m. and it had to have already been 90ยบ. The air was thick. No problem, I'll just take it slow. I made it to the end of the new sidewalk along Montgomery Road and took a rest. It was hot. I was hot. And my legs felt like rubber. I started running back and at least had a hot breeze in my face. But I was hating it. I made it 3.27 miles in 34:16. So that averaged out to a 10:30 pace, which wasn't horrible. However, I just couldn't go on. I felt like my bottom half was detached from my top half. I started walking, and even that pace slowed. I took my pulse and it was skyrocketing around 200. Ooops - I think I overheated. I imagined myself pulled off to the side of the road with steam coming out of me, like an old car. I walked more and more and my pulse wasn't going down. Sure sign of overheating. But I felt ok so I just kept walking. I wouldn't have turned down a ride at this point, but I was ok.

By the time I was in the last quarter mile before the house, my pulse was finally going down. Greg made me a glass of chocolate milk as I laid on the floor cooling down. Chocolate milk is a great recovery drink - sugar, protein, coldness. I can't be too disappointed with today - I ate like crap yesterday and drank too many beers. I just really wanted to go out on a long run this weekend. Maybe next weekend, after a healthier week.

The plan for this week is:
Monday: group ride (I haven't been in some time). I might need to bail early, if they are going over 30 miles. I don't want to push it and hurt my knee.
Tuesday: Track Tuesday (NOT stadium stairs)
Wednesday: morning run...maybe 4 again?
Thursday: lift/core
Friday: spinning (!!) I'm going to rejoin the gym. After spinning I'll probably run on the 'mill, make it a brick workout.
Weekend: TBD...

Next race...Caesar Creek Duathlon on July 11th. That's soooo soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment