I can't remember if I've mentioned it here before, but in reading about triathlons (as I keep doing, because I have a LOT to learn), I've come across a bunch or articles concerning how much of each sport to focus on. Or, how to divide the time among the three sports. It's a good question, obviously. When you just focus on running, you do different running workouts to get better. And you take a day off to rest. When you have the same time but have to cram three sports in, you really start to wonder if something isn't getting enough attention.
One theory is to focus on your weakest sport. Running and swimming are both weak for me. Swimming is probably my weakest, since I at least have confidence as a runner. Biking is definitely my strongest. So, if I spent all my time working on swimming and running, the biking would get better only from a general fitness standpoint.
Then there is a theory about switching up the weeks to focus on one sport each week while also maintaining the others of course. So one week I'd do harder run workouts, but not hard swim or bike workouts. Then the next week I'd make the biking harder, etc etc. This makes a lot of sense to me, and I can see how it would also keep training from becoming stagnant,
Then another point is that in every triathlon, most of the time is spent on the bike. So, simple math tells you that if you can increase your pace on the bike, and the biking is a longer portion of the entire race, you have more opportunity to shorten your overall time. The swim has limited opportunity for this, as does the run. If I increased my pace from 10 minute miles to 9 minute miles, I'll shave 3 minutes off the overall 5K time. But if I increase my bike pace from 16 mph to just 17.5 mph, then I can shave 5 minutes off a 16 mile bike ride. And I think 16 - 17.5 is much easier done than 10 minute to 9 minute miles :)
Soooo that biking theory is what I am going to focus on. I'm increasing my biking days from 2 to 3 times a week. And staying with 2 days for everything else. I am going to have to either not rest or do some additional double days.
Right now the running is rough because one of the days is Ultimate Frisbee. I run a lot, but it's sporadic and not always quality. Sometimes I'm forced to run at levels beyond what is quality, and it just becomes a survival kind of thing vs when I'm on a track and can focus on speed and rest appropriately. I'm sure it's still good; I'm getting in great cardio and pushing my body. I guess the other day I run should be long and easy. That will help with endurance?
Swimming...I'm just trying to get it down. I can't believe how hard it is.
So anyway, Thursday was my first day of increasing biking. I had biked Sunday, Wednesday (spinning) and Thursday had an easy ride from the house. I went all around neighborhoods and surface streets. It wasn't bad, I felt strong. Averaged somewhere around 15mph I think. I will plan to bike again this Sunday on the trail, maybe going longer.
Another thing I'm incorporating is lifting. I need to do some strength big time. It will help the swim and everything. But mostly the swim. My weak-ass core is not keeping me on top of the water too well.
A brief schedule synopsis. The weekends are always flexible, so this is just an example:
Sun - long bike and strength training
Mon - off or easy short run
Tue - swim, yoga
Wed - bike (spinning), Ultimate (running)
Thur - bike easy and strength training
Fri - swim
Sat - long easy run
No comments:
Post a Comment