Let's see...after the tri...
I wasn't sore. Not even a tiny bit. It was an hour and half of exercise. I did crash and take a nap when we got home, but then I was completely fine!
Tues 7/2
I didn't want to take a day off Monday but decided I needed to whether I felt like it or not. Tuesday I was anxious to get back to the pool and have a consolation swim. I wanted to get back in the pool the same day of the tri to prove to myself I can in fact swim. But of course I didn't do that. The swim Tuesday was OK. From my log:
Did 10 x 50s. Times were around 1:13. Then did 5 x 100 really trying to breathe and turn my head properly. Did those around 2:38, but the last ones got faster 2:33.
It wasn't bad. In the evening we did yoga.
Wed 7/3
Did the 5:45 spinning class and then Ultimate in the evening. Before the game I did a lap around the park. Then I wore my GPS for the game to try to get an idea of how much I ran. It was just me and Laur, so I ended up running around 3 miles. :) Some of that was walking and some was running.
Thur 7/4
Day off for the fourth. Awesome grill-out at the Gways and general relaxing time. Ian and Erika came into town and I had a good time talking with E about the upcoming tri.
Fri 7/5
The plan was for Erika and I to go swimming! I was looking forward to have someone who knows something about swimming watch me and let me know if I am flailing like a person being attacked by a shark or look like I know half way what I'm doing. She had a few calls to do for work, so I set my bike up out on the back porch and cranked Pandora so I could have a little ride. Her calls ended early, so I only got a little more than a half hour in, but it was still something.
We met at the pool and walked right in without having to pay :) It was crazy crowded. We were three in a lane at one point. Eventually we got to swim in a lane together. We did all kinds of things - freestyle, she taught me breast stroke, some kicking, etc. After that we went to Loveland for lunch at Paxtons and then to Montgomery Cyclery where she got some good bike shoes. It was a good swim.
Sat 7/6
4.2 mile run in the rain. It was gentle and cooling.
Sun 7/7
18 mile bike ride with Casey! It was awesome riding with someone again. We drafted and pulled. Averaged around 19 total. I couldn't pull very fast, I was really getting worn out! It was great. I just can't push by myself like that. This is what I need for the bike... I've been reading about how to split time up while training for a tri. There are many ways you can do it. One thing that was pointed out is that the longest part of a tri is on the bike. So, it just makes sense to gain your time there and be the best cyclist you can. I'm going to up my cycling days from 2 a week to 3. One will be spinning, and two will be on my bike - either a spin on the back porch or on the trail. At least one of those will be a long ride on the trail.
Mon 7/8
Took the day off.
Tue 7/9
I was tired from work and decided to sleep until I had to get up for Lux. Then I swam at lunch, and this could have been the best happen-chance decision ever. I met Diane, a 55 year old woman who has been swimming for 32 years. She asked to share my lane. When she asked if I wanted to do sides or circles, that sparked into an entire conversation about how I don't know how to swim and how she has instructed people....... Long story short, she was immediately giving me instruction on everything. It. Was. Awesome. After I tried swimming thinking about all the pointers she gave me, I took 6 seconds off my 50 yd time without even trying. I know how I'm supposed to feel in the water now. I just need to practice. I'm so excited!!! There may be hope for me swimming yet.
Wed 7/10
Spinning was easy and intervals. I didn't wear my heart rate monitor, but it really felt too easy. I am not sure - maybe will have to start adding my own stuff in to what we do. We never progress and add gear. I think that is key to making it challenging.
And now I'm all caught up! Too long of an entry, but hopefully I'll be better about short updates going forward. There was just too much good stuff that's happened in this first part of July to not write it all down!
No comments:
Post a Comment