I'm pretty sure no one reads or can see this blog, but those who already have are most welcome to. I have always found it important to keep documentation of things, so here it goes.
I saw a rheumatologist last Friday because after seeing my doctor during one of my weird migratory joint pain bouts, I have tested positive for rheumatoid factor and have elevated levels of something that shows high inflammation. Both are indicators of Rheumatoid Arthritis.
Definition: it is a chronic (no cure) auto-immune disease. The body's immune system attacks itself. In the case of RA, the immune system attacks the lining of joints, eventually bones and can also attack the heart and lungs. It causes extreme pain and possible deformity and inability to function. It appears to be a pretty nasty disease from what I see on the internet. However, every case of RA is completely different dependent on the person.
After seeing the doctor however, she thinks I may just have palindromic rheumatism. That is the same except the pain comes and goes (rather than is with you all the time) and most importantly, doesn't cause joint damage. Often PR turns into RA eventually, but not necessarily.
I had 12 x-rays of my hands and wrists. And I had more blood work done. There are other markers that will help give a better idea about where my disease is. I go back in three months for all of those results and to see how I'm feeling. She wondered if I have pain all the time and just don't pay attention to it. So I'm making sure I don't.
So...that is what I've been trying to process. There has been a lot of crying, a lot of worry. I have stopped researching RA and reading personal stories. However, my own suspicion about my "repeated weird joint virus thing" and finding a personal story that matched a lot of my own experiences is why I did end up going to the doctor and telling about the repetition of my symptoms rather than just riding out the pain.
After seeing the rheumatologist, it seems the possibilities are:
1) I have PR. I historically seem to be having year(s) in between flare ups. While inconvenient and very painful, I'll take it. No joint damage would be wonderful.
Because of my rheumatoid factor I could eventually develop RA. This is not ideal, but at least I have some time to figure things out, plan for it, take better care of myself now rather than later when it will be harder. I am not sure if my bloodwork will give indication of this or not.
2) I have early RA. But it's early so I can get going on drugs that might keep me from being crippled.
I am certainly very scared. I just read my last post and that was hard. So much was different just a couple weeks ago. I still don't know what to expect, but hopefully get some answers when I go back in the next months.
For now, it's hard to explain how much is different for me. Running and exercising is no long something I have to fit in or motivate myself to do. It is necessary. I have been scared about the possibility that I might not get to do what I want in the future. So I'm going to do it now. I am going to be as healthy as possible. I feel a huge responsibility to make what I can control of my body better. I suppose that feeling of control is what is helping for now.
No comments:
Post a Comment