Wednesday, January 2, 2013

The New Year

The new year is always a favorite time for me. I like beginnings, setting goals, new starts. I find it exciting and refreshing. I even like the beginnings of months, so the new YEAR is even bigger and better!

I heard a story on NPR about resolutions and habits, and why they do and don't work. An author talked about examples, such as the weight loss example. A goal of losing 5 pounds for example, is easy to break because the goal isn't directly addressing the habits. To lose the 5 pounds, you have to change habits. So e suggested that instead of the 5 pound goal, one should instead focus on something like "every time I want a snack, I'll have carrots". That mentality makes sense to me.

I have some "resolutions," but mostly I like to think about goals. I really like goals, large or small. Here's a snap shot.

1. I just found out my cholesterol is really high. So, I'm going to try to lower it first by diet and exercise. I don't want to go on cholesterol medicine. I'm going to really examine my food/intake and activity level first. I really hope that I can do it by that alone. If so, I'll be healthier in the process. :)

2. Cooking. I've been enjoying cooking at home more. And so, I'd like to keep this up, make it a permanent habit, and make it easier to accomplish. Then, we'll be eating healthier and saving money. Plus, I am looking at it as relaxing and creative rather than a chore. That is very important.

3. Illustration and art: I am still figuring this out. While I drew more last year, a lot more than I ever have, I still haven't figured out what to do with it.

4. Exercise. A friend said it very well: right now (meaning this age around 35) is the time we're setting up the habits that will determine how healthy we live as we get older. I really believe this is true. We're past the ages where our bodies bounce back from anything and can take lots of bad decisions. For example: I don't have a specific goal to run fast necessarily, but I want to focus on being able to run well for a long time.

5. Money. We are doing fine, but I want to be more mindful of where we spend and what we spend on.

So, those are a few things! I'm excited about 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment