Ah it's that time of year again...when the temperatures drop (perhaps drastically) and the mornings and evenings are dark. I struggle through it every single year: how to work out when it's dark and cold in the morning and dark and slightly warmer in the evening. I must figure it out. It's barely November. There are many days ahead...
Some ideas!
1. HTFU.
Always a good mantra for most situation, harden the f up and pretend like it's not actually 20-whatever degrees, windy and cold. Or, at least just don't dwell on it. Get the warm stuff on and go. It's not going to kill you.
2. Change Workout Time to Lunch.
I could conceivably run at lunch. Right now I have a gym just down the street, but that only lasts until the end of the year. I could still just run and deal with sweatiness by taking a spit bath at the office. I could turn the other bathroom into a more workable getting ready bathroom. By doing this, I could just get up and go to work earlier. But, it involves packing a bag every day, which I kinda despise (not sure why).
3. Change Workout Time to After Work.
I don't run well after work. I am in wind-down mode, or go hang out with friends mode. The only successful runs I've had after work were because I absolutely had to do them...and they were usually not after most people's work...I have the flexibility to leave early and run at say 3:30. If I could make that work every day, it would just entail getting up early so my hours would shift.
4. Stop Running in Winter.
Not an option to stop running.
So...those are my options. And now the pros and cons for all.
1. HTFU.
- PRO: It's simple. Just do it, it really isn't a big deal. Don't think about it.
- CON: I might get to work a little later than normal, but that's OK.
- PRO: The workout is done right away and no chance for it to be side-tracked later with work or tiredness.
- CON: I hate being cold and the house is so cold in the morning.
- CON: Stuck running around my neighborhood only.
2. Lunch Workout
- PRO: Can just get up and go to work early.
- CON: Showering and then working out later without a shower is weird. I'd have to shower in the morning because I wouldn't be able to shower at lunch. Getting ready and then getting stinky and having to get ready again is kind of dumb.
- PRO: Breaks up the day. Could make the days longer at work, but I like being home as much as I am.
- CON: Work gets in the way, as do lunch plans. I'm trying to make more lunch plans because I'm so lonely. I don't know that I'd want to have such long lunches every day (running, changing then food that isn't convenient around here, though I could pack).
3. After Work.
PRO: Can get up and do my day without lateness or interruption. This is like a rest day, I already know it's a nice schedule...except....
CON: I'd be worried about getting my workout in all day. What if I have to work late? What if something after work comes up that's fun?
CON: I want to do yoga and strength in the evenings. That'd be a lot of evening stuff to try to fit in.
Soooo, the results? I'm kind of glad I wrote all this out! It is a lot easier to think about now. It looks like #1 HTFU is the way to go. I just need to get up and deal with the weather. I'm happiest after running in the morning. And a plan to make it happen will indeed shift my schedule slightly. But here's an idea. I could get up early and draw! Have a piece of fruit, draw, take care of the dogs. Then, when I'm awake and it's light out, I could go for the run. Then go to work. Then, I'm getting in some drawing time also! (which has been a really hard thing for me to do recently). Also, I could sprinkle in a lunch run on days I work from home, and I could drive to Sharon Woods or something. It doesn't have to be rigid. But I think for the most consistency, I need to plan on mornings for the core of my runs.
A possible schedule. I'm beginning to feel a wee bit obsessive about all this, but I just need to write it out/work through it - I've got goals, dammit! :)
Sunday: rest
Monday: 3 miles a.m.
Tuesday: 3 miles a.m. / yoga p.m.
Wednesday: 5 miles a.m. or at lunch?
Thursday: spinning / strength p.m.
Friday: 3 miles a.m. or rest
Saturday: 6 - 10 miles a.m. / lifting a.m.
Ambitious schedule perhaps. I'll give it a shot. It's only 20 - 24 miles a week. One rest day, one cross-training day. I got really good at consistency with the marathon training. This shouldn't be too hard with a little more dedication!
No comments:
Post a Comment