Around lunch time Tuesday, I hopped on the bike trainer for a one hour ride. I hadn't been on the bike in a while, so I wasn't really sure what I'd do. I just started the music and started pedaling.
I took it easy for about 10-15 minutes, spinning with quick legs but easy gear. I wanted to let my lungs and heart rate settle in. Still kind of burny-lunged since being sick. For an hour ride, there was no need to push too hard right away.
It's like Pandora knew my plan. Around the 15 minute mark, the music picked up to something I thought "hey, I'll work with this." And I began to work. I think it was just some pickups during a chorus. My mind wandered. Maybe I should really try to make an effort to get to those Y spinning classes; I'd push myself more if I did. Wonder what it'd be like to teach. It'd be fun to have a friend who'd bring their bike and trainer over and we could ride together. I could "instruct" a mini-class....
And then the next thing I knew I was shouting out cues and encouragement to a fake class.
I felt a little nuts, but after one song, I just thought it was crazy fun.
Oh how fun it would be to be an instructor! I could just sub maybe? I don't know. I am not sure how it all works. But it was really fun to think about the things that make a person push. The encouragement, the challenge. It would be really neat to see people working hard, getting results, coming to my class to workout because of how I lead it. I think back to Mel at Urban Active. She was spectacular, by far the best spinning instructor I've ever had. It worked for me.
At the 1 hour mark I finally finished, but I wanted to keep going.
I was clumsy with my words. That would definitely need some practice. But I was also winging it – shouting cues to whatever song came on Pandora. I just went with the music, which I know isn't always the best workout. I thought about that too. I'd come up with some smart interval classes, and spend the time crafting the music around that. But then I'd have some "random road rides" where it would change up sporadically, kind of like how it is on a real road ride. I might have to make it purposefully random, because I'm sure instructors aren't allowed or encouraged to "wing" a class.
I was excited when I got off the bike. Initial thought: Maybe I should become an instructor in 2015?!?! It'd be nice to get out and interact with people, from whomever would employ me to the students. But then I thought about how scary it is being in front of people, and how I'm kinda chubs, and who wants an out-of-shape-looking instructor...
But then I thought again about how much I enjoyed the prospect of trying to get someone to work, to really dig in and feel good. And I thought about how dumb it is to be afraid of things like being in front of people, because fear just holds you back from experiencing amazing things.
I like experiences. I want to do it. I'm still really scared. But I want to do it.
No comments:
Post a Comment