Tuesday, November 30, 2010

A Rainy but Warm Run

Today I got in a lunch run. When I  woke up, I was going to spin to make up for not spinning yesterday. There was no rush to get to the office, so I took my time getting out of bed. I even got dressed in my bike gear, but after looking online for some trainer workouts I decided that I would rather run today. And I'd rather paint the kitchen. And I wasn't awake, having had another bad night's sleep. So my new plan was to paint, then run, then go to work.

Painting the kitchen took way longer than I anticipated, and I think I'm a pretty fast painter. It was a nice morning though. The dogs slept and stayed out of my way the entire time. I slapped on primer with a roller first, then went back to do the trim,  It is probably going to take 3 coats to cover the red. Bleh. Hopefully the next ones will go faster.

About 3 hours later, I was done with the first coat and stepped outside to check the temps. It was raining, but relatively warm. Fine, I'll run in it. I put on shorts, a short-sleeved shirt, a hat and my arm warmers. It just seemed like I'd need them, being so wet out. But I soon ditched those because I was too hot.

I ran past the houses in my neighborhood where Christmas has thrown up. In the rainy daylight, it looks even worse than at night. I ran the first mile at what felt like a pretty easy pace, somewhere around 9:50. Then for the next mile my plan was to make it a tempo run and maybe try for 5K pace? But my pacing skills are really whack right now. I just haven't been running consistently enough. So, nearing the half way point, I was about spent. I decided I'd stop and breathe a bit and then do the same thing going back. Turns out I was running a little under an 8 pace, so no wonder. I walked for a few seconds. Then I headed back. The next half was even faster. After I turned the corner for the last mile to home, instead of stopping, I slowed to a jog until I felt somewhat recovered. Then I kept pushing up a hill and back into my neighborhood. I think my times for the miles that weren't during the tempo part were around 9:50 and 9:10. This is all averaged... I didn't wear my GPS since it was so wet out. It is supposed to be submersible for 30 minutes in 1 meter, but I didn't feel like worrying about it.

Right now, I'm stiff - very stiff. Yesterday after work I lifted in the short time I had before heading to dinner. I did arms and abs. This morning I thought my shoulder was going to explode while I was painting. It's all good timing though...a great jump start. I'm enjoying feeling sore again.

No comments:

Post a Comment