Friday, June 14, 2013

400 yards straight

So I signed up for a triathlon in Mason that is at the end of this month. I am not ready for a race yet, but I thought it would be good for a few reasons. 1) I also just bought a tri suit so it will be a good chance to test that. 2) The swim is in a pool so that will be a good way to ease into swimming with tons of people. 3) it's right here in Mason- so close and easy logistically. 

The swim is only 400 yards. So today in the pool, I decided I would try that distance straight. I warmed up and realized that my breathing is all whack. I'm at the end of a cold and it's kinda in my chest now. Not bad, but enough to make it weird. I took a few laps to settle everything down. Then when the timing clock seemed to be at an even number (it is hard to read) I began.

The first 100 was pretty easy. It got harder and harder and my form certainly got worse as I went. I coughed a few times in between turning around. But I pushed the last 50 and made it somewhere around 11 minutes. :) That's horrifically slow, but not bad for a sick girl who just started swimming maybe a month ago? :) 

It was a good reminder of how tiring the race is- after than swim...well then I have to bike 12.4 miles...and then run a 5k!

Yeah- like I said, I'm not ready for a race, but it will be good practice and FUN :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment