I took one spinning class last week but that's it. So I wanted to ease back into it and not hurt my knee, which seems to complain while I'm on the bike. I think it's mostly because I don't ride enough and then all of the sudden do 35 miles with hills. A little shocking to the system.
I talked to Rich at the shop and he was fine with just doing 20. I was prepared to drop off when I needed to and let them continue the ride they wanted. But Rich also wasn't up for a very long ride. He was on vacation last week and just doesn't have the base right now, so didn't want to go really far. So at South Lebanon, we parted. Glen went out to do hills on the roads while Rich and I turned around for an easy cruise back to the shop.
Now that it was just two of us, we road side by side and chatted the entire way back. That's the most I've ever talked while on a bike ride. I've been out with just Rich before on the roads after we dropped Glen and his teenage son, but it was roads and we usually couldn't ride side by side. The 11 miles back went by in an instant. We chatted about bike laws, crazy drivers and accidents that have happened to people Rich knows recently. We talked about ideas for campaigns that would help educate people and make this city into a more bike-friendly city (if that even really exists) and how companies like Trek could help. Then we talked about art and music. He's an artist, composer and adjunct professor at the Art Academy. It's pretty neat- he writes music and then does art representing the piece visually (website). Rich is a pretty cool guy and I really enjoy listening to him. He just turned 60 over the weekend...I hope I'm riding like he is when I'm 60.
Once back to Branch Hill, we played in a little bit of traffic again and got back to the store. 23 miles total, and they were at a really easy pace. I think we averaged 15 mph. Perfect "get back into it" ride. I stretched last night and this morning and feel pretty good.
No comments:
Post a Comment