This morning I dragged myself out of bed, after hitting the snooze in my sleep once, and made it to the community center for 5:50 a.m. spinning. I haven't been in months!
The community center is looking good. Still under construction, but I think it's going to be pretty awesome when it's done. 5:50 a.m. is early and I need two alarms. I just put my clothes on and left. I had everything set out the night before and came back home for a shower so I didn't have to think too hard about what to bring. I was up later than I had hoped to be last night, so I kept it simple. Ah, the convenience of living close and working for myself.
When I woke up I was really hungry, so I grabbed two peanut-butter filled pretzels...as if that was really going to help, lol. Just a sign of my grogginess I guess. After I got there, I paid my month and class fee and was on my way. The bikes are back in their old room, which is much bigger and roomy. I got my bike set up and the instructor came in. I've been in her class once before, and didn't really remember what she was like except that she was big on the heart rate thing. I played along and checked my heart rate throughout the class. It was a bit high.
There were only about 7 people in the class... odd. I guess maybe since it's summer there aren't many people making it in? Or it's not the new year? We warmed up and then did some short sprints and then hill climbs. The biggest set of stuff we did was 10 standing hill climbs, 1 minute each with 1 minute seated recovery. The last 20-30 seconds of that recovery was usually a sprint. It took me a while to get back into being able to judge how much I could push. The 10 climbs went by pretty nicely. Then we did a ton of jumps, 5 seconds each, then a set of 15 second ones. There were other variations of hills. This class was definitely a hill class rather than a sprint class, which was fine by me.
The music. Oh disappointment. It sucked. It was more of a background thing (wasn't very loud) and just wasn't good spinning or workout music. There was nothing coinciding with what we were doing. For crying out loud, "It's Raining Men" was played. Sigh. I need to get it out of my head that I'll ever have a "Karen" or a "Karen playlist" and just focus on the physical stuff. But man, when the music is driving and/or fitting, it just helps so much and is so much more fun! Thursday's class is taught by a different instructor, the one I used to always have, so maybe it will be better even if it is Top 40.
Even though the music left a big hole of disappointment in my workout soul, it was still a good hour long workout. And I was reminded how beneficial spinning is – I need to remember that. For this class, I was definitely back in the "just get through this class" mode rather than pushing mode. So after a couple of weeks and a couple more crappy light rock songs, I'll hopefully be there.
No comments:
Post a Comment