Richard was in town today and posted some notes on facebook to me and Greg about skipping work and going for a bike ride with him. Well, since I work for myself, this was a biking opportunity way too difficult to pass. On top of that, I had to miss spinning (possibly the good music class - I don't know yet) this morning because of a meeting with a fellow Chamber member. I was thinking I'd go for a slow run after work before this jewelry party I am going to, but yay! Bike ride! With a person!
We met at 12:15. Richard had his stepdad's "practice" bike. It looked old and pretty stripped down. It had really old clip-in pedals and he had shoes to go with it. He had never ever worn clip-in shoes, so was a little nervous about that at first. But once he did it and clipped in and out a few times while holding onto the bench, all was good.
We went up the trail starting at a leisurely pace. Then Richard asked what I usually bike at. So we did that - averaging around 16 mph. But I wasn't feeling it today. Monday night we cruised up the trail at 18/19 but 16 felt pretty difficult for some reason today. Oh well, at least tomorrow is a rest day!
It was a good time chatting about triathlons, duathlons, running, biking, Erin's crazy 100 hour work weeks, his new job that is starting Monday, his Ultimate Frisbee league (which is competitive) and Louisville. 17 miles flew by.
On the last stretch, Richard suggested we go hard the last 1.5 miles. I tried. But I just didn't have much in me! I managed to hold 20 mph for a bit, but it was pretty pathetic. After we got back, I had a Tiger's Blood flavored shaved ice. Then I rode back to the studio. It was nice to get in a bike ride, and especially not solo. This week's workouts are pretty much all accounted for... we just have to do the long run this weekend! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment