Saturday, October 2, 2010

6... We're Getting Close!

I ran 6 this morning, after spending an evening in a couple Kentucky bars full of smoke (I always forget about that!) and getting home around 1:30. Ok, so it wasn't early morning...more like 10:30. But I did it and felt surprisingly good.

I did the same 6 mile route Casey and I did the other cutback weekend a few weeks ago. I was distracted early on by a dog while still in the neighborhood. I passed a house and noticed a black pug looking dog and tan cute looking dog both barking at me at their fence. The tan dog had some spring loaded legs and was jumping Jack Russel Terrier style over and over, gripping the chicken wire fencing each time. I thought to myself that dog could easily get over the fence if he wanted to. 10 more steps and I heard the crunching of leaves by little doggy feet. I turned around and there he was. We stared at each other a little, as his tail wagged so fast it seemed blurry. Assessment: friendly dog. I walked up to him and grabbed his collar. Thanks to Harley and her behaviors on the other side of the fence, I always make the assumption that every dog's goal in life is to run away. So I wanted to grab him and get him safe. He let me pull him back to the fence. But I didn't want to open it and have the other dog escape. So I thought we'd better just go to the front door. But the little guy put the breaks on. He wasn't going to move anymore. I kneeled down, we looked into each other's eyes a little more and he turned his head away...so I picked him up. Oh geez...what a baby! He snuggled into me and licked my ear and neck repeatedly. I considered turning around and heading home with him! :)  (not really)  I rang the doorbell and we stood on the stoop, waiting, licking, snuggling. No one answered, so I tried the fence again. By this time, both dogs were calmer. I figured out the gate and shoved the little guy in there. We said our goodbyes and I told him to stay. They were much calmer by now, but I was still worried that he might leap over again. I've never seen these dogs before, so I think they are visiting. And I wanted to tell the owners that the fence was no match for the dog with the spring loaded legs!

Anyway, that was a nice start to my run. Furry creatures are the best.

The rest of the 6 was pretty uneventful. I stopped for some water at 3, in the little bathroom hut. I was at a 9:40 pace then. Coming back, the small hills were wearing me out. I knew I was slowing down, so I tried to make up time when I felt better on the flats and downhills. Good race practice.

I finished strong, but it was a rough strong. It was hard to push by myself. But 9:40 pace!!! Woohooo!!!! I seriously think I could have maintained this pace quite a bit longer...on the right day and with the right lack of hills, lol.

In the few remaining weeks of training, I'm going to hit the bike hard. I'm spending the afternoon getting the basement cleared up to make room for my bike and trainer. Biking helps my running so much...it's push time. Well, until taper time.

No comments:

Post a Comment