Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Cold Snowy Run on the Trail

I wanted to run 4 today, but I was a little under-dressed. A mile and half away from my warm studio where my warm dry clothes were waiting, I turned around and made it three.

I went down to the trail, where I had reports from Roman, who took a run on it earlier, that it was packed down and not ice. It was for the most part a nice crunchy run. However, if there was pavement it was black ice, I quickly learned. Because of the slipperiness, my eyes were pretty glued to the trail ahead of me. So I was startled to come upon this guy...



















...a male Malamute, finishing up his business on the side of the trail. He only had one eye. I slowed to a walk and we looked at each other. I said "hey buddy" to which his response was a growl while looking away and puffing up his chest. I recognized the posture. He was like a mean, one-eyed version of my dog Lobo I had growing up. I love how Malamutes look yellow when it snows, like polar bears do.

I went on my way, checking to make sure I wasn't going to be a good catch a couple of times and then turned around. It was so quiet. I stopped a couple of times to just listen to the nothing. Here's what the trail looked like.



















And this awesome house looks even more awesome with the snowfall. Looks better in person.














The wind picked up and I was really getting cold. When I got back, I went to the bathroom to grab a towel and noticed I had icicles attached to the ends of my hair in places. They were melting, Frosty the Snowman in the Greenhouse speed.

Overall it was a nice, brisk, crunchy run that would have been more enjoyable with warmer clothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment