Monday, March 14, 2011

HMTD30: 7 Hilly Miles

Sunday around one o'clock I ran from the house in the hilliest direction I know: to Duke Blvd. (I suppose I could do hill repeats over there some day!)

The weather wasn't as nice as it had been Saturday, but it was still a very pleasant run. I had on my make me faster tights and then two layers of short sleeve shirts with arm warmers. And my headband. Perfect. The sun came out from behind the clouds a couple of times and warmed me. I think it's going to be warmer for the race this weekend...maybe even shorts weather!

I felt really good in the beginning. Pace felt easy. But up one hill and my pace dropped a lot and I felt tired. It's the state of things now. During the boring stretch on Duke, after sucking wind up the bigger hill, I couldn't stop comparing myself to myself back in the fall. For a while it was me, the empty road and disappointment. But I pulled myself out of it with the hope I have for the Pig and thinking about maybe doing more fun trail races this summer. My knee started hurting pretty bad at mile 5 - IT band pain. I rubbed the side of my thighs while I was trying to fall asleep last night and found the tightness no problem. Foam roller here I come!

The race this weekend is going to be fun fun fun because a bunch of awesome people are running it: Daryl, Jess, Roman, Casey, Greg, Joe (half), Anne (5K)... That might be the most people I've ever known at a race! Despite my lack of fitness, I'm still really looking forward to running with everyone...or at least starting with everyone as the case may be. I don't have any goals; I'm not in a good enough shape for anything but a finish. I want to finish strong and feel good – that will make me happy. And I'm so curious to see how everyone is going to do! I hope everyone does great and we have good weather! I'm looking at this as a training run towards the Pig. Then we'll see what I can get done for May 1! Woohoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment