So the whole rib injury took quite a turn Wednesday. After sitting down and talking for a while, suddenly I could barely get up from the table. Huh. So much for a test run.
That night, it was hard to sleep, as I could only be in one position. Any attempts to move made me yell out in pain. Crap! In the wee hours of the morning, I found old Vicodin and took it. It expired in 2004, but I soon was in a blissful happy state, smiling as I laid down in bed to rest some more. I felt like I was wrapped in foam.
I got up a little later and called the Urgent Care I went to, explaining the 600 mg ibuprofen they had prescribed wasn't going to cut it anymore. The woman I talked to said the doctor would call something in. I asked what I'd be getting and tried to request Vicodin. She said she didn't know what I'd be getting. How do you ask for Vicodin without sounding like an addict? I guess maybe you don't.
I waited around for her to call back so I could get the new mystery pain pills, but it was taking too long. So I made my way to the smelly flavor house thinking my expired Vicodin would get me through the day and by the end of the day, the new Rx would be ready. Perhaps that first pill I took was the only one with anything left in it; despite taking pills every 4 hours, I was in a helluvuhlotta pain all day. First, cleaning off my car was awful. Driving hurt. I couldn't turn my wheel in the parking lot. Walking hurt. I couldn't talk very well and the biggest problem was I couldn't take a decent sized breath in without searing pain. Ug. At the end of the day, cleaning off my car again after the snow all day had me in tears. I couldn't reach the scraper in the back seat. I had to sit down (aagh!)...bring my legs in (uggg)...reach over (oh god!!)...and then hoist myself out of the back seat (cue the tears). I really don't know how people live with chronic pain.
I picked up my Tylenol 3 prescription. Looking online, it is a step below Vicodin in pain treatment. Dammit, I wanted to be knocked out! I took it as soon as I got home. Then I painfully fed the dogs, put in No Country for Old Men, and sat up straight on the couch to try to relax and let the medicine work.
More pills around 9 and then bed. PAINFUL. I wish we had a recliner – that is what I needed. It hurt so bad to lay flat.
I keep taking pills every 4 hours and am very very happy to say I think it's getting better! Most importantly, I can breathe!!!! That alone has made this day 200% better than yesterday. What a horrible feeling only being able to take painful shallow breaths. It still hurts driving and parking and walking and moving my arms in general. But I think it's getting better, and the less I move the better I feel.
That being said, damn I'm disappointed I can't move!! I'm already thinking: what about Monday night for biking? I can't, I shouldn't – even if I feel better. I think I should just have a solid week of doing absolutely nothing or I'll make it worse again. This is very very hard. I got on the scale this morning and I've already gained a pound. WTF. I guess I need to cut my calories down to sloth-like amounts. Sloths probably only need 500 calories a day to slllooooowwwly mooovvee arrrouuunnnddd....
So. It's OK. Just a week. Don't worry about it, Steph. It'll be fine in a week...
No comments:
Post a Comment