Thursday, July 29, 2010

Track, Wednesday and What's Next

Tuesday track night went better than it has been going recently. I had a little nap at the studio in the afternoon, and I really think that helped for me to not have the dragging, "I just want to lay down" feeling I have been having at track. It also helped that Christen and Shaun decided to come. I think the fresh faces made it more exciting.

The four of us warmed up a mile. Then after a lot more chit-chat, I pushed everyone out onto the track. There were jokes of me being team captain. But it was 6:25 already! I didn't want to be a stickler on the time, but I also wanted to get out of there at a decent time. Plus Erin was making dinner for us.

Shaun attempted to stick with Roman for some 800s, but only lasted 300. He's never done a track workout, so it isn't at all surprising that he didn't know what kind of pace he could hold. Later it looked like he was running 400 of the 800 Roman would do, so that was good. It's so amazing how fast Roman is. Shaun was definitely faster than me and Christen. He's probably somewhere around Greg's pace. So next time, when Greg is there, the two of them will probably make a good pair.

Christen stuck with me. I could tell she was struggling with the last one, but she agreed that it was a good workout. She has just recently started running again. We did 400s, all at a very consistent 1:53. I did an extra one at the end in 1:47. Felt pretty good about that. Overall it was a good workout. The marching band (or more likely, a section of the marching band) was practicing marching on the field while we were there. It took me back a little bit to those fun drills in the sun - practicing heal-toe 8 to 5 over and over and over to the beat of the electronic metronome. Soooo boring! :)  It also made me think about how I still would really really like to volunteer for a local high school's band...Kings seems to be a similar caliber and style of band as what I was in, so maybe I could be of use there.

Anyway, Wednesday's run was good despite my shitty leg soreness, as reported :) After my legs finally loosened up a bit, it was just my breathing to contend with, which was pretty terrible. It makes me look forward to fall, or whatever break from humidity we might get any time soon. I couldn't suck in the air quickly enough.

Speaking of fall... the Cincinnati Half Marathon is October 23rd and I'm super excited about this being a next goal for me and Casey. I am enjoying the 5Ks, but distance is my love. Upon making the decision to do it, I finally feel settled again with my running and just in the right place, for lack of better words. Woohoo! It's going to be awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment