Sunday, June 3, 2012

5 out of 6 ending with issues

Beautiful morning for a run! The run was...eh...not as beautiful as the day :)

Just one of those days...I never felt good. Even at 2 miles, I knew it was going to be rough to go 6.

After turning around at 3, I took a big break (not the first). Back up a hill and then another quick break, sighing, and wondering why I felt so crappy.

Another break at 4.5 and I decided to walk. Speed walking would be more fun at this point, rather than slugging up slight inclines.

I walked off and on, totaling a little over 5 miles of actual running on the 6 mile route. I picked it up during a downhill at the end, only to have a wee bit of an asthma attack. I couldn't breathe in quick enough. My arms went up to my chest and I shook a hand in frustration. Not sure why, except it was just a reaction of my body since it wasn't getting what it needed. It didn't last long, but was restriction. It sucked.

Then while sitting on the deck cooling down, I noticed a spot in my vision, just off center. I couldn't "look" at it, kind of like a floater. If I tried to look at it, it was always just out of the middle. It was flashing, blurry, like a watermark. It was constantly moving around its edge. First I thought there was something on my contact. I closed one eye then the other, and finally both only to always see it there. I went in a took my contacts out anyway, and flushed my face. By then I was walking funny, and appeared dizzy to Greg. I was getting pretty scared since it wasn't my contacts. I had been nauseous on the run, and worried that something else might be wrong. So I got my laptop out and started searching. Meanwhile, my crazy vision got crazier. The flashing was really bright and the space it covered was larger. I couldn't see very well while looking on the computer - there were areas of my vision that were completely not there. It was hard to type and search... Then I finally happened upon a vision site that talked about ocular migraines. The descriptions were exactly what was happening to me. By that point, it had subsided and I was beginning to see normally again.

So apparently, they're harmless and only effect the retina communication, lasting from 15 - 30 minutes. I wonder if the asthma stuff brought it on, or what. It was certainly scary, but now that I know what it is and that they're harmless, it's no big deal. I certainly hope they don't happen a lot because that could be disruptive. I can't imagine trying to drive while one happened.

The rest of the day I did yard work...finishing another area of landscaping and planting. Woohoo!

Here's to a good week. Ultimate Frisbee starts this week, and I'm looking forward to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment