Monday, June 18, 2012

8 at 8 under...10?

Sunday's schedule called for 8 miles. We made it to the trail at 8, just after a thunder storm passed through. The air was cooled a bit and the trail wasn't as crowded.

Saturday I clipped out 10:07s for a three mile run. I was surprised. I also didn't feel I could have kept that pace up much longer. I haven't been able to run faster than 10:30s for any amount of time recently.

I forgot my watch, but Casey had his phone. We clipped along and decided to go to 4 before turning around. Ah the trail is boring. Casey kept picking people in front of us (walkers usually) to work to pass. Of course we would eventually. I think he was trying to make it entertaining.

At 4 miles, we were at a 9:52 pace. Huh. Well, it is relatively flat, and I did have Casey to keep pushing a pace. I was cautiously happy. But I didn't want to think about finishing that fast. I let my imagination get the best of me and tend to get all happy and plan out what I'll write on this blog, trying to anticipate the amazing feelings of a run gone well. But when it doesn't I'm so disappointed. So I tried to not think anything about it. I just wanted to know where we were when.

The last couple of miles weren't easy, but they weren't agonizing either. I was feeling it in my legs, and my breathing was getting rough. But this run had really good breathing in general, especially considering how quickly we were moving compared to how slowly I've been moving! I would struggle from time to time, but we would slow down and I could recover.

The last mile I focused really hard at trying to feel like I felt in the beginning of the run: smooth, quick, light and easy. And I tried to ignore the pain. It wasn't really much pain, but I didn't want it to get me down.

When we finished, that set of 4 miles (Casey had restarted the app) was a 9:40 pace. Huh.

So we averaged around 9:46.

Huh.

That's kind of all I can keep saying. I don't know what has happened. I have lost weight and maybe that is enough to really increase one's pace. 8 miles. When is that last time I've ran 8 miles under 10 pace? Hell, when's the last time I've ran THREE miles under 10 pace???

I'm still very cautiously optimistic.

I had a little cry in the car on the way home, telling myself not to get too excited until it happens again. Then, as I've already imagined and planned out in my head, I will jump for joy and be soooo incredibly happy that I'm finally getting back to the runner I was 2 years ago. I cannot explain how happy that would make me.

Until that happens, the protective bubble is up.

No comments:

Post a Comment