Sunday, May 20, 2012

Moving rocks counts as strength training

Friday I took the day off. Kinda. From cardio: yes, from work: yes, from lifting a bunch of rocks and bags of gravel: no.

I am itching and motivated to get landscaping projects done around the house. I decided to redo the 1/4 way done path off the deck to the garage. I had abandoned the project last fall. It just wasn't looking how I imagined and I didn't know quite how to fixt it. I was very tired of looking at the rocks, roughly laid into place but overgrown already. I came up with another solution to just use gravel and pavers as the edging. So I removed all the rocks and re-leveled the land. As much as I tried to not use my lower back to lift, I know I still was some. I made great progress though: shovel-pried up the old rocks and moved them out of the way (except the few I couldn't lift, I flip-traveled those off to the side). Then I went to Lowe's and bought 10 bags of base gravel. After loading all of those into the truck, I was sweating up a storm and was parched, so I got an Icee at Burger King. When I got home, I unloaded all of the bags and spread them out into the path. Then I moved pavers over to be the edges. I roughly laid those in. I was done!

All day I drank tons of water and sweated. I sweat so much!

So, the path is looking good. Saturday I set the pavers in on the short side. The long side is left, and will take a lot more work because I'm going to have to dig out some ground to set them all. Then I'll go get the remaining gravel to fill it all in and it will be done!

No comments:

Post a Comment