First, I can't discount the weekend's activities of broomball and skiing. Especially skiing. Holy crap I can't believe how sore I was (and still am a little bit). I guess that's what happens when you snow plow all day.
Broomball was not fun. It was our last game and, unfortunately, we played a team with a ringer who had never played broomball before that really screwed up the entire game. Oh well. It's done now. Overall the season was a ton of fun, even though I didn't get to play all of the games. The few I sat out due to my rib were still very fun to watch! And now, I look forward to having my Saturday mornings back for running.
Skiing on Saturday was a ton of fun. I hadn't been in about 10+ years, so I had to learn all over again. The first hill we went down was a medium/intermediate (blue? square?) hill and and I did OK with the snow plowing. Then we went down other mediums which were a little too hard for me. I realized this after plowing so much that I caused charlie horses in my hips, one after the other. I tried parallel but would fall when my speed got too high, and just couldn't control myself too well. It dawned on me that I probably should go back to the easier hill...but I didn't really realize this until the end of the day. I did 2 or 3 more runs on that hill and felt better about myself :) I think the verdict is I shouldn't allow 10 years to pass between ski trips! I would love to go one more time this season, if we could squeeze it in.
Sunday I was ridiculously sore. I thought it would be a good idea to go for an easy jog to help flush all the lactic acid. It did help! But then I was sore again later, ha! Monday I was pretty slow to start walking every time I got up from being seated. I had to work too late to make it home in time for the Trek class - didn't get home until 6:15. So I rode at home by myself. I tried to do some intervals that I've posted here earlier. I warmed up for about 5 minutes. Then I did 30 seconds with one leg doing most of the work, 30 sec of the other, and 30 seconds of both working while concentrating on making smooth circles. This was a very good exercise. It was hard. I did that 6 or 7 times. Then I did a set of 2:00 hard, 1:30, 1:00, :45, and :30 intervals. It was sporadic...and it hurt. I only did this set and then just rode steady the rest of the time. My legs were still really sore from skiing - I noticed it most in my calves. I feel like they grew muscles from skiing, lol. It reminded me of the way my calves felt after running the trail race last summer- sore muscles I didn't know I had.
Tonight I hope to get a nice easy run in while it's in the upper 40s! I'm so happy about the temps and sun! I know it's supposed to rain later this week, but still be warm I believe.
For some reason I finally feel like my training is really underway now. Maybe it's because broomball is over. Or maybe it's because I'm sore right now and like the feeling. Perhaps that is weird. I just know I'm ready and excited to start working hard and getting better.
No comments:
Post a Comment