A chilly but not too bad of a day for a long run. I ran out to Montgomery road and headed south on the sidewalk. I got to Landen Park and followed the paved trail that goes around the border of the park. I think it's 1.5 miles long total. When I got to the back of the park, there was a family getting out of cars about to do a run together: parents and a couple of kids and another adult (friend or relative I guess). Everyone was happy and smiling and ready to go. It was very cool to see. For some reason it made me think of a time when I ran with a neighbor girl. I was in high school and had been running. There was a family we knew in the house next to the creek on my road - the Spicers. Their daughter Kristen was starting to run, and they wanted me to run with her. She and her dad had been running together, but he couldn't keep up with her anymore. So she and I ran together around the tree nursery fields in the evenings. It was scheduled for a little while. She was probably 10 or 12 at this point? When she got into Junior High and High School, she became a running star. :) I don't remember what she ran, but remember her name in the paper a lot, breaking records and winning. I completely forgot about that memory until today when I saw the family. I think the dad reminded me of her dad and how he wanted her to do well.
Anyway, after running around the park, I headed north and passed Townsley continuing on Montgomery until the sidewalk ended. Then I turned around and headed home. I stretched at 6 point something (the turnaround) because my IT band started feeling tight.
It was a pretty lonely/boring run, but at least I felt good! Waaaaay different than the 6 last weekend, thankfully. I held a 10:15 pace for the first 4 miles and that was easy. Then I slowed down a little on some hills and had to concentrate to keep the pace. Overall pace was 10:20. The last half mile was rough – I sped up a little. I really wanted to be done.
No comments:
Post a Comment