I went downtown for the Fit Together group run Thursday evening. It was crazy warm and crazy windy!
I got there a little early. I thought the running time started at 5:15, but apparently it was 5:30. Having learned it was just going to be Greg and Joe again and I'd just be running solo anyway, I went ahead and got going.
Initially my idea was I'd follow Greg and Joe and see if I could use them as rabbits for some speed work– trying to stay with them for a bit, resting, seeing if I could close the gap a little again, etc. Starting out earlier than them, I still did speed of sorts.
I ran for about a half mile at an 8 minute pace. Then I walked to catch my breath. Then I did either another half or started on quarter mile repeats. Sometimes I'd jog in between, sometimes I'd walk. When I got to 2 miles, I turned around. I was in Sawyer Point. The headwind on the way back was nuts! I felt like I was running uphill.
I wasn't back long when Greg, Joe and Roman trotted up to my car. They had effortlessly pulled Greg along at an 8 minute pace. It was rough for him he said, but he was happy about it because it made him work. Yep, that's one proven way to get faster - run with someone faster than you. Joe's knee was better after his skiing injury which is good. He's doing the Heart Mini half.
I'm glad I got the run in, but I'm not sure I'll keep going downtown on Thursdays. It's hard to time with traffic. Though I suppose if I'm running solo, time doesn't matter. And I do at least have a free place to park and an opportunity for some different scenery, which is nice. If I go next time, maybe I'll find a route into Kentucky.
This weather has been awesome all week. I'm really looking forward to a 6 mile run tomorrow, rounding out a very consistent workout week. I was pretty sad after Thursday's run. I wanted so badly to be part of the group – to run with people, click away the miles and enjoy some fun distracting conversation. Oh well, I know I need to work harder.
No comments:
Post a Comment