Today I ran 3 miles, after having ran 15 the day before. I felt great. My knees hurt later, and told me to take Tuesday off, but I learned something about my body.
Sunday's long run was at what is now an easy pace for me. I was barely huffing for most of the run. On our way back for the last 4, we did speed up some, and the last 2-3 had my breathing elevated. But the rest of those miles were cake for the lungs. I think it is a case of not realizing how bad I felt until I felt better. My lungs and chest felt great. I wasn't short of breath at all Sunday or Monday.
So, I guess what I've learned is that I can over-do it for the lungs the same as I can overdo it for the legs. Typically, I've felt short of breath the entire day of the long run, and a bit into the next day. Short of breath = winded when I get up - feeling out of breath, feeling like I need to bend over and catch my breath or hang onto something after I walk a bit, and a general discomfort.
I once again chalked it up to being out of shape and not quite up to the endurance level I need to be at yet. But, perhaps this is asthma related. I guess I don't know for sure if others have those symptoms after a long run. But since I was able to truck along at 10:50 pace like it was nothing, for at least 11 of the 15 miles, where before I was struggling to go that pace, I think it's an asthma thing.
So now I know a little more about how pace effects me right now. That's not to say I shouldn't push the pace! I think it's just that now I know I might need to treat myself later with some more inhalers. Or at least I know what to expect.
No comments:
Post a Comment