Last week was pretty rough. I am covered in bug bites and have been for 2 weeks. I called the doctor after an Rx cream didn't do anything for them and am now on steroids. They make me feel not stellar. I pretty much just don't like myself and am agitated by everything. Just a couple more days of those...but the bug bites seem to be going strong still.
At Wednesday's Ultimate game, I got kicked in the lower right leg hard enough to make a nice, instantly-swelling contusion that was super painful. I looked everything up online that night. It's a common injury with soccer and martial arts, so finding out what to do for it was easy: R.I.C.E. After a very painful evening, it was manageable the next day, but I was still limping really bad. I stayed home from work and elevated and iced all day, while watching some Arrested Development. It was actually a very enjoyable day of doing nothing.
I was concerned I wouldn't be able to run long on Sunday. But every day, with the icing etc, it seemed to be getting better. Saturday morning, I considered a test run, but decided to bike instead, avoiding impact. I think that was a good decision. I went on an 18 mile bike from the house and my leg didn't hurt at all.
Sunday morning Casey and I started out for the 13, and I was very happy to have no pain. I didn't know...it was possible it was just going to hurt too bad. It hurt a little towards the end, when the trail was slanted such a way that my side muscles were taxed a little more. But it is absolutely fine.
I panicked Wednesday night for nothing :) I have just had such good momentum going with my training...I'm getting faster, getting fitter...I was so saddened to have to stop. And I certainly thought I was going to be out for a week at least. I think taking Thursday off was critical in getting it better quicker.
So...today's 13 miles were pretty fantastic. We started out around a 10 to 10:05 pace, bouncing around that, for the first 9 miles. But after the break for more water at the Train Stop Inn's area, I was hurting. My hip hurt (same leg as the contusion, so maybe there was some compensation happening) and I just didn't feel like I could keep the pace without really huffing and puffing. We slowed a bit and then the last 3 miles were pretty rough for me. I shuffled along.
Mile splits:
mile 1-- 10:08
mile 2 -- 9:54
mile 3 -- 10:08
mile 4 -- 10:00
mile 5 -- 10:07
mile 6 -- 10:13 (took a break at 6.5)
mile 7 -- 10:16
mile 8 -- 9:53
mile 9 -- 10:20 (took a break after 9)
mile 10 -- 10:46
mile 11 -- 11:16
mile 12 -- 11:26
mile 13 -- 11:12
Look at that. Only 3 miles over 11 pace. And two under 10 :)
I suppose I lasted longer at the pace we wanted to run than the prior long run's pace. So overall I am still very very happy about the pace!!! When is the last time I've ran 9 miles that fast!? Today's half marathon was faster than my Pig race by, something like a half hour maybe??
So... good good run. I'm excited to be getting up into the higher mileage now. And as always, thanks to Casey for being an awesome running partner.
No comments:
Post a Comment